Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Under the Cross of Lepanto

Brother Stephen offers this post in honor of this feast of Our Lady of the Rosary.

I was particularly moved by his account of Dr. Manuel Irurita y Almandoz, Bishop of Barcelona from 1930 to 1936:

[quote:]

During the Spanish Civil War, Irurita y Almandoz spoke out against the abuses of Barcelona's leftist government and was marked for execution. After several months of administering the diocese from hiding, he was apprehended. One of his killers later testified that when he was brought before the firing squad, he said,
I bless all of those who are in my presence, as I also bless the bullets that will occasion my death, since they will be the keys that will open the gates of heaven for me.
His cause is under investigation.

[end quote.]

No comments: